Thursday 23 October 2008

Is digital networked journalism a help or a hindrance?




For the most part I like to think that I have taken a positive approach to new forms of journalism. I have tried my best to embrace new technologies and new means of communication. I make this sound like an arduous task but in truth it hasn’t been, signing up to various new websites takes minutes and getting to grips with them doesn’t take that much longer, and the benefits are plain to see, or are they?

Contacts have, and probably always will, be a vitally important part of journalism, and through sites like Mento and Twitter we can simply and quickly create vast networks with people all over the world, who we can consequently contact quickly and simply, and perhaps more importantly cheaply.

In theory I am all for Twitter and Mento et al, my problem (which is perhaps due to my rookie status as a twitterer) is that my Twitter or Mento inbox rarely give me anything of use to work with. I am either inundated with updates from the BBC or the Guardian every 2 minutes or told something uninteresting by those I’m networked with (no offence guys, I am equally uninteresting). The sheer amount of updates from big media organisations means that quite simply, I now ignore them, because they all blend into one, and why is it my concern if Cemlyn now has a BT landline?

But ever the optimist I will continue to plug away because I accept that someday, as we all learn how to Mento and Twitter effectively, my network will begin to provide me with jems of knowledge that I would otherwise be ignorant of, that’s my hope anyway. My one shining light so far has been the discovery of my new favourite website, Wordle, try it it’s amazing.

On a related but slightly different note, Wales has just hosted its first blogging debate. Attended by eminent Welsh bloggers, Assembly members and the like the merits of blogging were discussed in an open forum. According to Betsan Powys, an influential Welsh Blogger (and BBC Wales political correspondent), the event was a success. As well as having good sandwiches the discussion turned some nay sayers into budding bloggers. I think this shows that were not all that backwards here in Wales!

Hwyl am y tro,

Steffan
Image used courtesy of Jeff Cheng @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffcheng/2368021384/

1 comment:

Cemlyn Davies said...

Sori Steff! Fi oedd isio rhannu newyddion da o lawenydd mawr efo'r byd i gyd!!